24 December 2013

one more dawn, one more day, one day more



I don't know who even has time to read blogs at the moment (indeed, I hardly have time to write this) with Christmas insisting on being closer and closer every minute. And it's not just Christmas - there are other festive high days and holy days, people have birthdays, people have work, things still need to happen. So I'll keep this as succinct as I can manage, which for me means a quick nine paragraph dissertation on my feelings followed by another six paragraphs on my feelings for today's recipe, followed by an essay on why a particular song I've been listening to this week accurately and devastatingly reflects all this. Brevity! It's the soul of wit. Or the lowest form of wit? Whatever, I guess it's too late to carry on pretending I'm gonna provide it for you, but I honestly am trying, for what it's worth. 

So, I've mentioned a few times on here about my steady diet of two-minute noodles, microwaved pies, and microwaved marmite and cheese sandwiches as I grew up. But, after getting out a thrillingly American cookbook from the library at the age of, oh, nine or so, I was struck by a rather chic and unusual sandiwich combination: apple and cheese, which it turned out, I loved. So, if I really felt like putting in some effort, like making myself a baller snack, like putting the glam in glamwich (which also puts the glam in sandwich. Portmanteaux! Talk about classy) youthful me would forego the marmite and instead make an apple and cheese microwaved sandwich. I know. You can see how I got a cookbook deal.

(PS: I've never actually said the word "glamwich" before and my christmas gift to you is that I'm never going to say it again.)



Nigella, that moon of my life, has an excellently fast recipe in her book Kitchen for something she calls Crustless Pizza. It's kind of a cross between a yorkshire pudding and cheese on toast, hence its enormous appeal to me. While the original recipe of Nigella's is perfectly brilliant, I suspected that an apple and cheese variation, spattered with mouth-heating mustard so you know for sure it's not pudding, would be...equally brilliant.

Apple and cheese together have this bizarrely pleasing salty-sweet, crunchy-melting symbiosis, which isn't so odd really. I mean, fruit appears in all forms on cheeseboards, and there's something lovely about the clean, crisp, delicate freshness of the apple slices subverted by the golden, buttery, bubbling cheese. Oh wait, I was supposed to be succinct. It's just really good, okay?

apple, cheese and mustard pie

Adapted from a recipe from Nigella Lawson's important book Kitchen. Serves two. Or four, I guess, but I am terribly whiny and reluctant about sharing anything with melted cheese on it. 

1 cup flour
1 egg
1 cup milk
pinch salt
150g cheese, something cheddar-esque, grated
1 apple, I liked Granny Smith here
Dijon mustard

This is very simple. Set your oven to 200 C. Butter a 21cm pie plate or similarly shaped dish. Mix together the flour, egg, milk, salt, and about half the grated cheese. Bake for ten minutes. Meanwhile, slice the apple thinly. Remove the pie from the oven, arrange the apple slices howsoever you please on top, and sprinkle over the remaining cheese. Bake for another ten or so minutes, then drizzle over the mustard. Slice into four, and use a spatula or something to wiggle the slices out - they've never stuck once for me, so hopefully they don't for you either.


And that's it, really. It would be quite nice with a kind of peppery, crunchy salad of rocket and stuff like that, but there's no need to play up the sophisticated side of this. It's just as good eaten with your hands while staring glaze-eyed into space because you're very tired and just want to deliver carbs to the outstretched, clasping hands of your blood cells with zero distraction.

So, Christmas, huh? It has arrived. Considering it's Christmas Eve today, I really shouldn't be too surprised about this. Were I much more flush with cash than I currently am, I would shower myself with the following gifts:

Vogue Knitting magazine
A deposit on another tattoo
At least one really pretty, out-of-my-reach sundress from twenty-seven names
A copy of Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier
Nigella's book Nigellisima
A supermarket pallet of San Pellegrino Limonata (when I get famous, this is going to be on all my riders. It's tooth-zappingly lemony and my best friend while mildly hungover. But also I like to drink it other times.)
A bottle of Campari
An intense hand and nail cream
Candles, for lighting and feeling deep and purposeful (and flatteringly lit)
More Devon Smith artwork
A meadowlark trinket of some kind. So out of my reach currently that I'm not even at the stage of choosing one or two to sigh over.
A landlord who will let me have a pet cat. (I don't know quite how, but I figure being rich makes everything simple.)
A pet cat.

What about you?

Whether or not you celebrate Christmas (even "celebrate" might be a little too enthusiastic, occasionally my mood is more like... "accept stoically" or "admit defeat in the face of") I of course hope that times are good and people are nice and social situations are fairly stress-free and that your tables are laden with good food. Because stuff like that should be for life, not just for Christmas. (Like a pet cat. Hmph.) I'm flying home today to my parents' house, and I can't wait to see them, and the rest of my family, and the cats, who are of course family, but oh man I should really stop talking about cats. I'm planning on knitting myself a beanie, reading books, and taking lots of selfies with the cats.

Also, uh, I suppose it behooves me one last time to remind you that my cookbook Hungry and Frozen is super amazing and makes a majorly excellent present idea. Also if you already have it, there's a fairly simple Christmas Cake recipe in there which you can make quite last minute and still feel good about.

May the rest of your December be dreamy.
_____________________________________________________
title from: facing the season with bared teeth and dizzyingly contrapuntal arrangement, One Day More from Les Miserables. The version I've linked to is the 25th anniversary concert. Featuring the bafflingly handsome Ramin Karimloo as Enjolras (look him up on Google images if you're so inclined, I thoroughly recommend it.) I also like Key and Peele's highly apt take on it
_____________________________________________________
Music lately:

I know I've linked to it twelve million times, but this is the only time of year I watch Turkey Lurkey Time from Promises Promises, and marvel at Donna McKechnie's loose-limbed perfection and the sublimely bonkers choreography leading to a rather shivers-making ending.

Speaking of people worth looking up on google images to marvel at, Zooey Deschanel's band She and Him made a thoroughly endearing Christmas album. As if Rockin' Around the Christmas Tree wasn't already massively endearing to begin with, too.

Sleater-Kinney, One Beat. It's not allllll carols round here.
_____________________________________________________
Next time: I might be reunited with this blog before the year is out, and then it really just depends on what I can excavate from my fridge....

2 comments:

  1. I've just made your Red Wine Chocolate Cake for Christmas Eve dinner - fantastic! Thank you for such a great recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Merry Christmas! That crustless pizza recipe is the bomb - I can see it appearing with leftover Christmas ham a couple of times in the next week.

    ReplyDelete