9 July 2015

swallow it down, what a jagged little pill

that cactus is a visual metaphor for how my throat felt, also, juxtaposition! The word that saved me in Art History 101 

Next time you're just hanging about, you know, existing within your corporeal form or whatever, take note of how many times you unconsciously swallow. Turns out humans do it a ton which is super fun when out of nowhere you have a sore throat and it feels like a serrated knife has lodged itself horizontally within your larynx. Every time you swallow. Which, as we've established, is unfairly often! Anyway so I've had a miserable bunch of days (the sore throat came with the free gift of an earache!) to the point where I couldn't even eat soothing stuff like ice cream or soup because it was agony to swallow anything. Even cool, clear water might as well have been a nutritious bowl of sand, because they both would've felt the same to my poor tender throat.

In wonderful news I am now thoroughly improved, mostly due to ibuprofen, rest, and gargling so much salt water and apple cider vinegar that I'm surprised I haven't turned into a pickle. However, I choose to attribute my entire recovery to the incredible bowl of porridge that I fixed for myself yesterday. I'd taken enough painkillers that my throat was tentatively amenable to food, and I wanted to have something aggressively nutritious and filling, but also soft and warm as the underbelly of a rabbit. Oatmeal covers all these bases, as well as allowing me to be irritatingly cute by using the portmanteau of Sore Throatmeal, and I do love to be irritatingly cute.


 rock the oat

I mean, everyone has their own way of making porridge and you can feel free to ignore my method or write it off as garbage (but if so, honestly, why are you still reading this far?) but mine has much going for it - the oats are toasted first, a step that only adds a minute to the cooking time but turns what could be gluey flavourless glue into a richly flavoured, warmly nutty concoction. I also stir in ground almonds, which add a gentle sweetness and swollen softness and richness and also, y'know, almonds put a shine on your coat. You could use any dried fruit you like but cranberries are full of anti-inflammatory and hella-vitamin properties, they also look incredibly pretty, all ruby red against the white cream and pale oats. Similarly, you could use coconut milk or almond milk or ginger instead of cinnamon and so on and so forth; but this is the recipe I made and it is so damn good.

Also I know this recipe looks really long and complicated, it's because I'm talky and like to hold your hand throughout the process just in case there's any small detail that confounds you. Once you sift through all my added nonsense it's really, really straightforward, I promise.

the softest porridge, or, sore throatmeal

a recipe by myself

a handful of dried cranberries 
half a cup oatmeal or finely rolled oats
quarter of a cup of whole oats 
half a cup of water
half a cup of milk
a pinch of salt
quarter of a cup of ground almonds
cinnamon
brown sugar
cream, and lots of it

Place the cranberries in a small bowl and cover with water from a just-boiled kettle. 

Place a smallish saucepan over a medium and throw the oats in, stirring them frequently to allow them to toast - they'll start to smell incredibly, well, toasty, and when this happens remove them from the heat and allow them to sit for a minute just to cool slightly. 

Stir in the water, milk, and salt, and return to a low heat, stirring occasionally to prevent it from sticking as it heats up and thickens. You want to get it to the stage where it's starting to have big bubbles rise to the surface and burst, like some kind of geothermic mudpool (I think, I mean I have very little knowledge of geothermic...stuff) and at this point stir in the ground almonds and decide whether or not you think it needs a splash more milk or water - I like my porridge a little on the softer, creamier side, but you might like yours thicker. So, either it's ready, or you need to stir it a bit longer with more liquid. 

Once you're done, remove it from the heat, drain the cranberries (I just used a spoon to hold them back while tipping the water into the sink) and stir them in along with a hearty pinch of cinnamon. Spatula all this into a deep bowl (a deep bowl helps it stay warm for longer!) and spoon over as much brown sugar and cream as your mouth desires. 


I took one bite and was literally cured 

On account of this peskily sore throat I've done more or less nothing lately, I've either been in bed or at work; when in bed I've been on a Nigella-watching spree - I mean this in the nicest way, but I don't have to think at all when I'm watching her show, and it doesn't matter if I fall asleep halfway through, and all the stirring and gentle clattering and plummy vocals are utterly soothing to someone like me who adores background noise while I sleep. So you can see how I'm so Hallelujah-chorus rapturous over this porridge, it's pretty much the most exciting thing to happen to me in the last few days. It was so delicious though, that I'm very sure it would still provide some kind of thrill even if you're in full health.
________________________________________________________________
title from: Alanis Morrisette, You Learn. Remember when this album was the hugest thing in the world? This song has such a strange, meandering, conversational vibe to it that you don't get a lot now, and I remember thinking how subversive and rad it was that her voice was kinda screechy and drawly (I was ten, okay.) 
________________________________________________________________
music lately:

Fiona Apple, Sleep to Dream. So dark and moody and intense, "this mind, this body and this voice cannot be stifled by your deviant ways,  so don't forget what I told you, don't come around, I got my own hell to raise" - ooof. 

Kendrick Lamar, Alright. I mean the song itself was already amazing but the video is just... *falls over sideways*
________________________________________________________________
next time: it is SO FREEZING in Wellington right now, so I'll probably be cooking something to try and warm myself up, which at this stage is going to be a bowlful of the earth's molten core. 

1 comment:

  1. Half water, half milk is definitely the way forward for porridge.

    ReplyDelete