22 September 2015

we're so much more than pointless fixtures, instagram pictures

*lou reed voice* shiny shiny 

I've always been one to self-absorbedly imagine that I'm in a scene in a movie while doing otherwise mundane things like staring inscrutably out the window while on a train or sitting inscrutably on a park bench or getting a coffee by myself, inscrutably - I know I'm not the only one that does this! It's like, this is the quiet bit in the indie movie where the camera stays fixed on me for an almost uncomfortably long time while I do something very normal but in an utterly enigmatic way. Right?

Anyway after spending the longest time of only listening to podcasts when getting to and from places, I've started listening to music through my headphones on my phone again (having got the Spotify app and an ad-free premium account) and wow, nothing enhances the "I'm a mysterious and important character in an indie film that you'll guiltily download because you can't stomach spending $25 on a ticket during festival season or waiting forever for it to have a limited-at-best release" feeling like walking down the road utterly immersed in your own personal soundtrack. Sauntering in the dark to Lazy Line Painter Jane by Belle and Sebastian - the lyrics are stupid but the beat and the melody are heavenly and the coda makes the mere act of walking seem like art; striding through the rain to Shazam by Spiderbait feeling like a complete brat as you jaywalk (in my defence the roads in Wellington are ridiculous and there's nothing to do but jaywalk); drifting dreamily, almost floating, through the industrial end of town to Julee Cruise's Rockin Back Inside My Heart. I know this is the most pretentious thing I've written in a long time and I sound like a teenager who has just discovered Morrissey (you should've seen me when I was a teenager who had just discovered Morrissey) but like, it's just so, so, so long since I've done this and it's such a small thing but it's so amazing. That's it, that's the story: listening to music through headphones is nice, did you know?


*freddy mercury voice* hash! Aaa-aah, saviour of the universe!

Speaking of all the small things; I still haven't replaced my lost SD card for my fancy digital camera, partly out of not wanting to spend excess money and partly out of a self-flagellating sense of punishment. As such my phone has graduated from being merely my best friend and confidante to my main camera. Which also makes it slightly harder to get a decent bundle of blog-worthy photos happening for any one dish I've made at any one time. In lieu of that, I've decided to do a wee round-up of some food I've made and quickly instagrammed lately - united they are greater than the sum of their parts, or something. All three of these things - peanut butter cookies; sausage and potato hash; and tomato and feta tart - are stupidly delicious and the recipes can be imparted to you super quickly, so...yeah. No harm done.

peanut butter cookies

one cup smooth peanut butter
one cup sugar
one egg
one teaspoon baking powder
dark chocolate

set your oven to 180 c/350 F. Mix all the ingredients together, roll the mixture into rather small balls (the smaller they are, the less likely they are to crumble) and place on a paper-lined baking tray. Press down slightly with the back of a spoon to flatten them juuuust a little. Bake for about ten minutes, then let them sit for ten minutes (important so they don't crumble...again) before carefully transferring to a wire rack to cool. Melt the chocolate and spoon it over the top of the cooled cookies as you please. Makes many. 

If you're a gluten-free person you will likely have encountered some version of this recipe already a million times but man it's good - soft, chewy, salty-sweet cookies, the throat-coating peanut butter cut through with the crunch of bitter dark chocolate. I'd usually prefer milk chocolate here but using dark makes them dairy-free too - I made these to take into work one evening in a kind of a sustain-the-troops kind of move, and also because I thrive on presenting people with food that I've made whether they want it or not.

sausage and potato hash

four fresh pork sausages
two large floury potatoes
one onion, diced 
dried thyme
oil and butter
two eggs
HP sauce and/or ketchup/hot sauce/whatever other condiment your sodium-caked heart desires

It's fairly uncool but if you microwave the sausages in a bowl of water for three minutes and then microwave the potatoes for three minutes (give both of them a stabbing with a fork first) then your life will be an awful lot easier. Otherwise consider simmering them in a pan of water for a bit first or just plough ahead and hope for the best. 

Heat plenty of olive oil or similar in a large pan. Gently fry the onion until softened and golden. Roughly chop the sausages and tip them into the pan, allow them to sizzle and brown. Then dice the potato fairly small, and add to the pan - try and get as much surface area touching the base of the pan as possible to encourage browning and crisping. Put a lid on the pan for about five minutes to allow the steam to cook the potato through, then remove the lid, turn up the heat, add a knob of butter and the thyme and allow everything to sizzle like whoa. Push everything to the side and crack the two eggs into the pan and allow them to fry till you're quite satisfied. Remove from the heat; divide the sausage and potato mixture between two plates, top with the eggs, and apply as much sauce as you please. 

I made this for my wonderful girlfriend and myself on Sunday when we were both varying degrees of hungover and indecisive (okay, well she fried the eggs - I'm just not that great at eggs and she is) and it was the absolute perfect thing. Cheap, fast, fried, carb-loaded, slightly greasy, sustaining, nourishing, hot, covered in salt and sauce, and the ideal accompaniment to watching 21 Jump Street. From which we can learn two things: one, Dave Franco has ascended to being The Superior Franco, and two, Channing Tatum's acting career is the greatest thing to happen to America this century.

tomato and feta tart 

one sheet ready-rolled puff pastry
half a tin of chopped tomatoes
one tablespoon cornmeal
about fifty or so grams of feta cheese
thyme leaves
a little oil, milk, melted butter or something for brushing the pastry with

Set your oven to 200 C/400 F and place some baking paper on a baking tray. Put the sheet of pastry on top and score a one-inch border around the edge - this is where you use the point of a knife to almost-but-not-quite cut through it, like you're drawing a slightly smaller square inside of it. This is gonna make the edges puff up and make a fetching border once you bake it. Sprinkle the cornmeal over the middle of the pastry, drain the tomatoes well and spread them evenly across, then sprinkle/crumble the feta on top of the tomatoes. Brush the edges with melted butter or whatever if you like, and then bake for about 15-20 minutes until it's golden, puffy and risen around the edges. Sprinkle with salt and strew with thyme leaves. Slice into bits and snarf the lot. 

Look, if you have some ready-rolled pastry in your fridge or freezer then you have the makings of a good time no matter how meagre the rest of your pantry supplies may be. You could literally just bake a piece of pastry and it would still be a charming snack. I mean, I wouldn't be above such things. Tomatoes and feta are obvious pals so don't even make me try to explain it to you, but there's something fun about the tangy feta once it's warmed through and how it contrasts with the relative sweetness of the tomatoes and the buttery, puffy pastry. This is another one that I threw together for my excellent gf and myself one Sunday and it's the perfect lunch for two - cut it into four squares, have two each, put a little rocket or spinach on the side if you're feeling outlandish, and deliciousness shall abound.

*no particular voice* this is a tomato and feta tart

As I alluded to before I'm trying so hard to spend as little money as possible right now, on account of how living paycheck to paycheck is no fun, but I also decided to ignore that rule and hoist myself off to a cafe to write this blog post over a coffee. Also it's payday today! I doubt I'm gonna be able to afford to replace my SD card any time soon, so you'll just have to get used to these phone-photos, but honestly instagram is so great that I'm not even too bothered (that said if you're feeling like you're too rich right now may I remind you that I have a paypal, pal) - somewhat unsurprisingly I love making my life look more dreamy and hazily lit than it really is. Just as I'm massively digging soundtracking my life like I'm the first person who discovered how to do this. Some might say it's whimsical, some might say it's insufferable and not even particularly interesting, but as long as they're saying something I really don't mind.
_______________________________________________________________
title from: Queen Beyonce, with her drown-in-the-sexy song Rocket from her incredibly important self-titled album. Don't listen to it unless you're ready to fall over sideways. 
_______________________________________________________________
music lately: 

Misterwives, Twisted Tongue. Uhhhh this is such a good pop song, I can't even deal and I frankly refuse to deal. 

Beach House, A Walk In The Park. Another good one to make your way from A to B to. The perfect child of Billy Idol's Eyes Without A Face and The Pixies' Where Is My Mind (a perfect child that I never knew I needed, to be fair.) They've just been announced as coming to Laneway festival next year and I MUST GO. 
_______________________________________________________________
next time: I mean technically it's Spring, despite the weather being more appalling than it has been all winter, and I am determined to hunt down some asparagus. 

No comments:

Post a Comment