15 March 2016

for the want of the price of tea and a slice


Things I've said at work lately: 

- here, have this salted chocolate cashew butter slice that I made. It's dairy free and gluten free!

- uhh I have to go to the bathroom because my satin jumpsuit is actually on backwards and I've only just noticed

- hey, I know we're kind of busy but I have a rather singular situation, the centre bit of my bra is hanging on by a fragile, tautly pulled thread and if I shake one more cocktail it will very likely break and bust open, and since I'm wearing a cropped top there is very little room for error here. Is it okay if I run home and change my bra? I can be back really soon- oh, you were just coming to tell me I could sign out? So there was actually no need for me to tell you any of this? 


As well as wearing clothing quite uselessly, I also like to occasionally bring in treats to work to boost both morale and blood sugar. In this case I'd been toying with an idea, batting it about like a cat with a small felt mouse on a string, about some kind of nut butter slice covered in chocolate. What I made was fine, with a soft, fudgy texture in the base followed by the snappish crunch of cold dark chocolate, but it wasn't quite there. As soon as I sprinkled some salt on top the flavours sprang to life and it all made sense and tasted properly delicious as opposed to giving the illusion of tasting delicious. So don't leave that bit out, even if it seems either excessively sodium-ish or small enough to forget about.

This is so easy to make - truly, the hardest bit is getting the various nut butters and coconut oil out of their jars without flinging them everywhere. Indeed: if you end up getting slightly more than half a cup of each ingredient it's completely fine. I know I probably did.

salted chocolate cashew butter slice

a recipe by myself

half a cup cashew butter 
half a cup peanut butter
half a cup coconut oil, melted
half a cup LSA mix, or ground almonds
quarter of a cup icing sugar
one tablespoon honey or maple syrup
150g dark chocolate
sea salt

Mix the nut butters and oil together till smooth, then tip in the sugar, honey, and LSA and stir again. Pour it into a brownie tin lined with baking paper, and freeze till firm. Gently melt the dark chocolate and remaining coconut oil together, and pour over the base. Freeze again. Once you're pretty confident that it's completely solid, sprinkle with plenty of sea salt and slice up however you like. 


(Regarding that bra situation: I juuuust made it home before I heard this muffled popping noise indicating the valiant thread had finally snapped. I was sad to see it go, I called it my "power bra" because I got it in New York and it basically positioned you in such a way so you could break a glass ceiling with your own buoyant cleavage. I was like...I've defeated my power bra. Am I too powerful? Do I have to eat the bra now, like that scene with the Khaleesi in Game of Thrones?)


As well as giving you an energy boost and being full of shiny-making ingredients, this has a gorgeously buttery, mellow flavour with a pleasingly dense bite to it. Texture is everything here but you can totally play with flavour too - you're welcome to use entirely cashew butter in the mix, but I decided to cut it with the much cheaper peanut butter so as to not make this ridiculously extravagant. You could, however, use almond butter or all peanut butter or add cinnamon to the base or whatever you like, really. If avoiding dairy isn't a daily task for you, then you could definitely use white or milk chocolate on this instead - and I do adore both - but the bitter plainness of the dark chocolate against the creamy, nutty base is genuinely pleasing.


We ended up being extremely busy on the night that I brought in my container of this in to work, so I left it in the freezer and when I opened up the bar the next day it was entirely gone: I am taking this as positive feedback. I myself couldn't stop eating the stuff that I'd left in the freezer at my apartment, so for what it's worth my own personal feedback is highly positive. 

All I've really been doing is working lately and I'm so tired that all I can talk about is how tired I am like it's my one personality trait (as opposed to in high summer, when my one personality trait is that I'm sweatily overheated.) But I managed to make this delicious stuff, and I somehow overthrew my own Power Bra, so I guess I'm doing alright. 
___________________________________________________________
title from: Us and Them by Pink Floyd - I used to be incredibly obsessed with them, then dropped off a bit, and now am back to gently sincere fondness.
___________________________________________________________
music lately: 

Billy Bragg and Wilco, Walt Whitman's Niece. I used to listen to this song all the time, it has this rollicking, shambling quality that I love and the call-and-answer bit is charming. 

Roots Manuva, Witness the Fitness. This song is on the work playlist and no matter how exhausted I am it brings me back up every single time. It is a TUNE. 
___________________________________________________________
next time: I've been mucking around with this roasted broccoli turmeric coconut thing recipe which may appear here. 

No comments:

Post a Comment