16 March 2015

we'll drink coffee and you can spend the night, we'll do anything that makes you smile


I was supposed to blog about this earlier today but then I also had to make a cake and while doing so I ate so much cake batter and icing that I needed a nap, during which time if you did an x-ray scan of my skull you would see that the brain had dissolved into a nourishing yet ultimately useless sugary syrup. Which is so much the story of my life, that you could put that opening sentence on the front cover of my (inevitable, hopefully) autobiography.

On that supposed-to-be-doing-stuff vibe, I was talking to my dear friend Kate the other day about motivation and wanting to get stuff done and worrying about where I am going with my life, I seem to do little other than half-assedly start projects and then abandon them through sheer tiredness and I hate it but I also can't seem to keep up with myself or my expectations of myself, y'know? If I could get some kind of fairy godmother situation happening right now my request to them would be for me to write another cookbook and get a TV show. I so deeply miss that wacky montage time when I was nonstop writing my first cookbook and making food and there were photoshoots and plans and ridiculous recipe testing and just so much going on. Unfortunately, in what some might look at as being a bad sign, the word document in which I put lots of plans and recipe ideas in order to pitch a new cookbook to someone...disappeared. My computer ate it. I'm gonna try to start all over again, but gosh! Psychological and literal setbacks ahoy! And yeah, I did say pitch. I am always proud of how I was approached by Penguin to write my first cookbook, but this time around I can't sit and wait and hope for the best, I need to, oh, rediscover my inner Leslie Knope and hustle like whoa. With that in mind, if anyone knows of any highly good and cool publishers that I should be approaching, let me know. If you want to tell me that the publishing industry is going down the toilet and unless I'm writing Fifty Shades of Grey fanfic I'm screwed, I'd be less appreciative, but I guess tough love has its place sometimes. That place is not here (by here I mean anywhere near my general person.)

I love these pastel sprinkles so much 

But why have an existential meltdown when you could eat ice cream? While having an existential meltdown? (Tagline: save the meltdown for yourself, not your frozen dessert) I made this coffee ice cream, a recipe of my queen Nigella Lawson's, three times in about ten days - which speaks to both the excellence of said recipe and also my abilities at hoovering through ice cream like a vacuum cleaner with googly eyes stuck on it to give it a human-like quality.

This stuff is wondrous. The addition of sweetened condensed milk gives it a maddeningly pleasing chewiness, as well as making it spoonable and smooth straight from the freezer without any need for churning, stirring, or waiting for it to soften. The bulging caramel taste of the condensed milk also mellows out the harsh coffee dust, giving it a crema-soft coffee flavour with tiny specks of enlivening bitterness here and there. It's so lush and delicious and I frankly expected nothing less of Nigella but it's still good to have such relentlessly positive ideals reinforced.


Despite the recipe being monumentally easy, when I first made it I deviated slightly and used coconut cream instead of regular cream, simply because it's what I had in my cupboard and also I'd spent three of my last ten dollars on a can of sweetened condensed milk and felt like this frugal act counteracted some of that heathenish wretchedness. (In my, and indeed anyone's defense, sometimes having seven dollars and ice cream is better than having ten dollars and no ice cream, in terms of living your best life.)

It was so brilliant that it's all I've done ever since for fear of breaking the magic spell of deliciousness, but feel free to use actual cream if you like. The coconut flavour is completely subtle and totally overpowered by all that coffee, if that's something that concerns you.


very easy coffee ice cream

adapted from a recipe in Nigella Lawson's book Nigellissima. Makes around 600ml. 

one 400ml (or so) can coconut cream
one can sweetened condensed milk
about three tablespoons of instant coffee, ideally instant espresso powder

Empty the two cans into a bowl, and whisk together along with the coffee powder. If you like you can dissolve the coffee in a tablespoon or two of boiling water, otherwise your ice cream will be dotted with coffee granules - either way is fine though.

Pour into a freezer-proof receptacle - I use an old take-out plastic container with a lid - and freeze for about six hours or until solid.

Eat, rapturously.  Or morosely, I'm not here to police your facial expressions. 


Ice cream is easily one of my very favourite foods, which is possibly another factor towards my ploughing merrily through so much of this stuff recently, but don't just take my word for it - actually, do just take my word for it, this is a food blog, damn it. This is easy and delicious and wonderful and you deserve all those words in your life materialised in food form.

What have I been up to of late when not fretting luxuriantly about how much I'm not achieving? Swanning about and swooning about, I suppose, going to parties with my thoroughly and respectively wonderful friends and girlfriend; working at work; gasping and clutching at myself with great emotion while watching Pretty Little Liars; trying to not spend money; and oh look, dying my hair pinker than it has ever been:

je vois la vie en rose 

On a final, aggressively mercenary note, if my ability to buy cream is something you care about, may I remind you that you can still purchase copies of my amazing cookbook directly through me - I have a few left but stocks are dwindling so move with haste is my advice. Also if you're a rich weirdo who finds lighting your scented candles with hundred dollar bills gauche and passé and you're looking for a new way to get your kicks, my paypal is always open and any and everything is so very appreciated. 

Actually, let's end not with capitalism but with more ice cream. Which is probably still capitalism, my knowledge of the economy is hazy and based on my own hyperbolic notions at best.

affogato made with coffee ice cream, for when being merely sybaritic is not quite enough.
_____________________________________________________________________
title from: Little Red, by Kate Nash. It's so strange and magical and melancholy and narrative, this song. I love it. 
_____________________________________________________________________
music lately: 

Marina and the Diamonds, Shampain. This song still goes off and still gets me right in the heart, it's so rapturously dreamy and poppy, and I'm always like oh wow it's so meaningful no matter literally what is happening in my life at the time.

Pere Ubu, Modern Dance. I haven't heard this song in foreverrrr but it's so great, I love how hypnotic yet dinky the melody is.

Flo Rida/T-Pain, Low. I danced ever so happily to this on Friday night and have been singing it in my head ever since ("she hit the floorSHE HIT THE FLOOR") and I don't even mind because T-Pain is an actual delight of a human.
_____________________________________________________________________
next time: your guess is as good as mine, so, uh, ooh, how mysterious. 

1 comment:

  1. I read a lot of food blogs but yours is my favorite by far. I am easily two generations older than you, so why do I like you so much? I like the humor and self deprecating style of your writing. I like your honesty, your complicated life and your recipes. Two of your recipes have become favorites of ours. I hope that when you ask for money, someone actually sends you some! Thanks for always making me smile.

    ReplyDelete