9 June 2010

i want the one i can't have

________________________________________________

Today after a three and a half hour meeting I was reading through CLEO magazine and found the list of CLEO/Palmolive Nutra Fruit Wonder Woman nominees. OooOOOooo, I thought, I wonder if there's any cool new bloggers to discover in the blogger category. Then I saw my own name listed. What! I'm a woman who is potentially wonder-ous! I made my manager read it to me to make sure I hadn't just imagined the whole thing.

Okay, I'm not quite sure what being a Wonder Woman means, but the winner gets $5000.

Let's be cold: There are some seriously brilliant and famous women nominated for this, people out there doing really cool, creative things. Within the blog category alone there are some high-profile sites that I, a more-or-less unknown and I'm pretty sure the only food blogger, am up against. Spose the fact that I think my blog is basically the awesomest blog in the whole of New Zealand doesn't count for much against established networks and fanbases.

Every time I stop to tell myself this isn't a big deal and it's fun just to see my name there and I don't even really know what it all means anyway, the glint of the money gets into my peripheral vision and I start to get all hopeful and hyped up and imagine the wonderful things I could do with that money. The harder I daydream the more I want that $5000 and the more I tell myself I'm pretty stupid when there are all these other high profile people in the running. I'm teetering wildly between "what is this anyway?" and "I WANT THIS!" Look at what money makes us do - maybe you shouldn't vote for me after all?

For what it's worth, if I did find myself $5000 richer, here's the two things I would do:

1) Throw a big dinner party and cook for all my friends - maybe make a vat of pasta and an equally giant pan of rich, slow-simmered homemade tomato sauce and let everyone help themselves, with a huge bowl chocolate mousse for pudding (and maybe some partying in there, I don't know, homemade chocolate mousse is pretty exciting to me).

2) Travel somewhere with Tim. Tim and I met overseas in 2005. When we moved in together once back in New Zealand in 2006 and started university, it was pretty well settled in our minds that as soon as our graduation-hats were thrown in the air we'd be boarding a plane to travel again. Since that confident decision we have travelled...literally nowhere...which is not so much a bad thing as realistic, but all the same 2005 feels impossibly far away, and sometimes it seems like I spend far too much time observing Broadway shows open and close and change casts from afar. We could go to Poland - I loved it so much during my brief time there - go back to London, visit people from the performing arts school we worked at, go to New York to see a Broadway show, see what the Baby Sitter's Club were on about in Super Special #6 New York, New York, maybe (while I'm being indulgent), Idina Menzel will have some kind of live gig happening and I could finally, finally see her in person. I could buy a pet capybara! A bouncy castle! The capybara could live in the bouncy castle on our roof! (Err, $5000 would stretch as far as all that?)


With your help, this could be what my roof looks like!

I guess this blog post has demonstrated that maybe I'm not quite Wonder Woman material, I mean look how out-of-hand I get when just presented with the opportunity to simply daydream about getting $5000.

If after all that voting for me is something you want to do, then please email cleo@acpmagazines.co.nz with WONDER WOMEN in the subject line, and "Voting for Blogger: Laura Vincent - hungryandfrozen.blogspot.com" plus your name and contact details in the body of the email. I feel a bit funny asking, but not so funny that I won't ask, you know? Gigantic thanks to anyone who does vote!

Title via: The Smiths, keeping me honest (although I did consider quoting "god I hope I get it" from A Chorus Line, there's no real way to do this without the wanty-want-want selfish overtones is there?)

21 comments:

  1. AnonymousJune 09, 2010

    I voted! Even though you read Cleo magazine, heh.

    The deal though is that you have to keep blogging, because I really do love your writing and it's nice to know there are other 21 year olds out there that are as insane...er...passionate about food!

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. HM: Cheers aye!

    Twospoons: Thank you! And hand on heart Cleo is a good read - in the last few months everything, editorial, fashion, features has really stepped up. Nothing will stop me writing here, I hope you keep blogging too - love it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Done and done! I definitely hope you win - I want to live vicariously through your travel plans. BSC and Idina Menzel? Woot! Double woot!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i never used to read cleo (mainly because i'm only 18 and a lot of it wasn't relevant to me) but in the past few months it has gotten pretty damn good!

    congratulations, i am so excited for you and i'm definitely voting for you!

    X

    ReplyDelete
  5. i voted for you !! i think you rock, you always make me smile, love your humour and us kiwi food bloggers have to look after each other (although i'm currently living in melbourne)... good luck ...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Voted! Although if you win, I expect to come to this dinner. :P

    And I shall come with you to see Idina.

    I was contemplating flying to San Fran and see her July 9 concert, but I just can't justify spending that much on flights to stay for a week. I'm planning on staying 6 months in the US! XD

    Ps. We need to catch up! x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Done Laura! And I'm hoping to harness the power of my Facebook to help the cause. Turns out some of my (cooler) friends already read you!!
    Ciao xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Voted.
    Now I have to go and buy another Cleo magazine.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hannah: Thank you! And live vicariously you shall! (hopefully)

    Eleanor: Thank you! x

    Pod and Three Peas: Thank you...and too right! Food blogger solidarity :)

    Olivia: Absolutely! I admit, I totally looked at San Fran flights but damn it's expensive.

    Kathleen: Thank you lovely!

    Scotty: I'm counting on you, I only have about a 1/2 of your friend count on Facebook :)

    Mum: No bachelor magazine this time either...

    ReplyDelete
  11. AnonymousJune 10, 2010

    It's exciting that you just stumbled across your name there. What a nomination, congrats :) I will be voting after I finish this comment.

    The capybaras are so cute! I love the mental image of a bouncy castle with capybaras on your roof!

    Hope you win :) I think your blog is the best in NZ too :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. AnonymousJune 10, 2010

    i totally voted for you. congrats!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I, perpetual yet faithful lurker (guess not anymore, though...:-)) voted! Hope you win!

    Saskia

    ReplyDelete
  14. I LOVE capybaras! I have ever since Karen in BSC Little Sister had one as her animal project.

    I saw one at Coney Island once, too. It was billed as the biggest sewer rat but it was really just a baby capybara in a wire cage. I felt bad for the baby capybara.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Now is a good time to gushingly tell you I read every blog post, have scoured the archives and think you have exceptional taste in music. Pity I don't have a kitchen...

    Anyway, yay for you/us/everyone! I doubt a blogger will win the grand prize, but hey its nice to be considered. I had never read Cleo before and found it pretty fun, like a paper blog (uh, a magazine?). Anyway the content is right on the mark.

    ReplyDelete
  16. You got my vote Laura!

    Long time, silent fan of your blog...I have never really taken notice of what day you update it - To me it makes for perfect Sunday afternoon reading material so I always save it until then.

    Best of luck,
    Haley.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ha! I just found out from facebook that the performing arts school you worked at is the same one I worked at. I have a food blog too but it's a baby. Small small world. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Voted for you. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  19. HayleyB: Thank you so much! Also, capybaras are the best :)

    lilmagoolie.com: Thank you :D

    Saskia: Thank you, perpetual lurker :)

    Sadako: This one goes out to all the capybaras that are wrongly labelled sewer rats.

    Amber: Thanks x

    Haley: Thanks so much. And I agree that Sunday is a good blog-reading day.

    Delaney: Small world and it keeps getting smaller!

    Juli Ryan: Thank you! :)

    ReplyDelete