13 November 2007

Farewell to Feta, But Hopefully Not Jethro...

Thought I'd better post before Outrageous Fortune as it finishes late and looks like a weepie episode tonight. Will Jethro or Van go to prison? I hope not! It has been raining here but it isn't dark yet, and the quality of the light is bizarre, almost sepia toned, and all the trees around us in the valley have taken on a hallucinogenic green colour. Yes, it sounds odd. I tried taking a photo to show what I mean, but it didn't come out so well. And yes, I do live in the city but also adjacent to a verdant valley - welcome to New Zealand.

Anyway, what we have been eating lately:


Above: Nigella's Greekish Lamb Pasta from Forever Summer, with some of its ingredients behind. This is truly delicious, and comfortingly reminiscent of spag bol for Tim (okay, he's not hard done by in the food stakes but I know he appreciates something recognisable.) It was not, however, the last of the scenery-chewing feta...


Above: Parsnip and Brocolli Soup, which was tonight's dinner. I didn't use a recipe for this, just sweated the veges for a bit (such an unpalatable term!) simmered them in some stock and whizzed it up in my food processor with the last chunk of feta. In hindsight I probably should have crumbled it over the soup, I don't know what I was expecting but whizzed up the flavour just disappeared. Nevertheless the soup was lovely, but really would have benefited from a bucketload of cream. Sigh. Afterwards we had pasta dressed simply with butter and nutmeg so it's most likely a good thing the soup was relatively austere.

I am by no means on a diet, but after breaking a nail trying on some jeans at a shop the other day I figure it wouldn't hurt to up the veges and lessen the butter. I'm always reminded, whenever I have moments like these, of that scene from the Simpsons -

Homer: "Marge, how could you let me get so fat?"
Marge: "I'm not the one who put butter in your coffee!!"

Somehow I think Homer and I are kindred spirits.

On a different note, I got an A for my Writ paper (bask!) for which one of my assignments was to write a review of something in the media. I chose Nigella's How To Eat, which got an A-!! She did not fail me - and more importantly, neither did my lecturer.

Update: Outrageous Fortune has just finished and Jethro is okay! Phew! It is HOSING down here, and the sky is erupting with thunder and lightening. It is nice to go to sleep to though. I used to worry when Tim did midnight shifts at McDonalds in weather like this...I hope it has stopped raining by 5.30am tomorrow when he has to go to work at Starbucks!

2 comments:

  1. Hmmmm, tried to be the 900th view also, but made it to 901. You should put a link to your food page in "Salient" as well ..... some good recipes there too.
    Congrats on the nearly 1,000 - only 99 more refrehes to go... Congrats on the A.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on the "A"
    Thank you too, for the most entertaining read every day. I know exactly how you feel about trying on clothes. I've had a lifetime of that! No cook worth their salt is skinny, (dont they taste their own creations?)

    ReplyDelete