23 December 2007

I'll Be Home For Christmas...

But Tim won't be. I have just returned from the cable car, where I left Tim who was on his way to get his bus to Palmerston North. I'm catching a flight in an hour to Auckland...I know it's only a week, but why oh why is Palmerston North so far away from Waiuku? Anyway, no need to be doleful because Christmas is nearly here! Hoorah! Fa la la la la! Today is the 23rd of December, "Little Christmas Eve" as my brother and I call it, and this is my last post from Hadfield for the year - next time it will be from the computer at home, and possibly after Christmas.

We have been eating funny meals lately, lots of bits and pieces. We had some bananas growing rapidly decrepit in the fruit bowl, so I thought I'd better make something with them. I ended up making the Banana Muffins from Nigella's How To Be A Domestic Goddess. I had previously bypassed this recipe because, well, it didn't really interest me - banana muffins are nice and all, but nothing new, if you know what I mean. Well I should have known that Nige would be able to create something exciting from even the most commonplace thing. The muffins were wonderful - light, spongy, redolent with honey. There is only 2 tablespoons of honey, no actual sugar, only 30g butter (bugger all when shared between 12 cakes) no eggs and no milk. I almost thought there was a typo when I first scanned the page - what on earth held the mixture together, I don't know, but again, they tasted beautiful.



Above: Nigella's banana muffins. Eating is believing - these really are special.


Above: Last night's dinner was effectively the last meal I was going to be cooking for Tim and I before we went our separate ways, and anyone who knows how I feel about cooking dinner will know that this is a big deal. I didn't want to spend any more money on food, so I followed Nigella's wonderful pasta recipe, which makes a feast out of bugger all (some flour and a couple of eggs.)

There is a running joke in the flat that Tim and I get very, very tense with each other while trying to wrangle the pasta maker, causing the other flatmates to get nervous at its very presence. Luckily we were mature enough to work out our differences last night, even when I accidentally left the cut pasta in a fast-congealing lump and we had to re-roll the whole lot again. The pasta machine was an impulse buy (as one does) but is worth the effort for the silky, tender, unbelievably delicious pasta it yields.



Above: I tossed the pasta in a little butter and freshly grated nutmeg, and roasted the last of whatever veges we had in the fridge to go with it. Delicious!



Above: Because we are so recklessly impulsive, Kieran, Tim and I decided to go out for breakfast this morning instead of packing. Which is, to be fair, a rather miserable job. We went to Epic again, and it was just as amazing as it was last time. From left - Kieran's Eggs Montreal, my Vegan big breakfast ("The Herbivore") and Tim's Ranch-style cookup. I didn't feel like anything too heavy, which is why I uncharacteristically went for the vegan feed. It was perfectly filling, the veges were delicious and the grainy bread it was served on was incredible. We sat outside in the sun and sipped spirulinas with our meals. Seriously - go there if you are in Wellington.

Now I have to run round and do that last minute panic thing, as you do, and say goodbye to the goldfish. Not sure when my next post will be but I'm sure everyone's far too busy to be online anyway. My bags are laden with all the foodie gifts I've made for people - I hope like heck that I don't get fined for overweight luggage at the airport. Merry Christmas Everyone!!

No comments:

Post a Comment