3 November 2008

Pineapple Express

A very, very swift post from me - I know my exam is tomorrow, but Tim and I have studied ourselves into a brick wall and can nay do more. We've been watching some audio commentaries on The Mighty Boosh DVD (yes, we are earnest commentary-watching folk) and giving our brains a well-needed airing before everything we've crammed in there floats lightly out our ears.

Saturday's weather was beyond awful - gale force winds and pelting rain. Sunday, however, in typical Wellington fashion, was the complete opposite - an unutterably beautiful day. I purchased a pineapple at the vege market for a dollar and imagined I would sprinkle it with chopped mint and fresh ginger and serve it for a sparklingly healthy dinner. Then Tim said "or we could dip it in chocolate?" Brilliant. I was sold.

In fact I went one better, and used a recipe of the blessed Nigella Lawson's from her gorgeous book Forever Summer .



Caramelised Pineapple with Hot Chocolate Sauce
1 ripe pineapple
demarara sugar (Nigella specifies 250g)
200g dark chocolate
125ml Malibu
125ml cream

Preheat the grill to very hot (or the barbeque!) Slice the skin off the pineapple then chop it into wedges. If you like, thread them onto soaked wooden bamboo skewers or just leave them plain like I did. Lay the pineapple on a layer of tinfoil and sprinkle with the sugar. Pop under the grill till caramelised and deep golden in colour. For the sauce, simply melt the chocolate and stir in the Malibu and cream. Pour into a bowl for people to dip the pineapple in. I resolutely sprinkled the pineapple with mint though and it added its pleasant, reliably perky flavour to the whole thing.

You should probably know that we lowly (soon-to-be-ex) students don't carry anything as highfalutin' as actual Malibu. Instead I used a harsh splash of this Malibu doppelganger stuff of Katie's called - charmingly - "Wipeout." The look of Malibu in the same white bottle, minus the smooth rumminess.



Above: Cool mirror effect on the shiny dipping sauce. It's probably the aluminium in the Wipeout liquor that makes the chocolate so reflecty.



We ate dinner (a quick feast of steamed red potatoes, proper beef sausages, roasted capsicum and carrot sticks) outside because it was so glorious, and at 7.30pm we were still able to be comfortably al fresco with our pineapple. It is a wonderful pudding - the taste of scorched fructose and smooth, smooth chocolate mingling very pleasantly with each other, people leaning over each other sociably to access the fruit and sauce - heck, I'd go for two pineapples next time.

I haven't mentioned this so far because I've been so busy promoting the Otaua video (and in case you're wondering, the case is going on hiatus for three weeks so no proper conclusion yet) but if you like, clickety click HERE to witness a rather amazing thing. You may remember that I went on a plugging spree for the late Broadway musical [title of show]. Well it's over now, but some spry fans organised - and just let me try to explain this properly - a music video to '9 Peoples' Favourite Things', one of the songs from [title of show], using fans of the show holding up pictures of the lyrics. As in, one word per person. If all this makes no sense, watch the video anyway because Tim and I are both in it! Yayyy! Participation from miles afar! But actually, don't even try to look out for us because we zoom by in a flash and your retinae will chaff with the strain of it all. But there's still something for everyone. For Broadway fans, there's Jonathan Groff *swoons*, Patti LuPone, Shoshana Bean, Amy Spanger, Seth Rudetsky, Betty Buckley and Cheyenne Jackson *swoons again* amongst others. For the average punter, have fun trying to spot America Ferrera, Sarah Silverman, Jimmy Kimmel, TR Knight from Grey's Anatomy and for those who like to dip your toe on either side of the fence, check out the spunky Bebe "Lillith" Neuwirth. Follow the link in the grey box for stills and names, and you'll actually get to see me.

See, there was no need to flinch, I didn't even try and make you watch the Otaua video again. But if you're on youtube anyway with nothing else to do...As it is we are on a rollicking 1900 views, which is flipping amazing. Hopefully in three weeks we can make the change we want. In fantastic news, Otaua and the video itself were on the TV1 national news show here in New Zealand, they gave us a good two minutes and showed lots of clips of Otaua looking clean and lovely and untainted by oil plants. Hilariously though, they showed a clip of the mayor of Franklin, Mark Ball, and said that it was my dad. Not sure what the mayor thinks of this...

Speaking of change, in a day or two I'm guessing things are going to go absolutely nuts in America. I try to stay relatively nonpartisan - well, except when I don't - but even a bare plot summary of my beloved RENT which this blog is named for should indicate that I'm pretty left leaning. (Hint: transvestites and lesbians ahoy!) I couldn't be more hopeful that Barack Obama gets in as president, and that Sarah Palin fades quietly into obscurity (I know, I know, I'm not American, but let's put it this way, I've heard many, many women say that she in no way speaks for them by virtue of her gender). It's times like these that I get a particular song stuck in my head...'Louder Than Words',a stunning ditty from one of Jonathan Larson's earlier works, Tick, Tick...Boom! If the words look a little cheesy on paper, click here for a somewhat poor quality vid of the final Broadway cast singing it to get the full effect.


Why should we
Blaze a trail
When the well worn path
Seems safe and so inviting?

How, as we travel
Can we see the dismay
And keep from fighting?

Cages or wings
Which do you prefer? Ask the birds
Fear or love, baby
Don't say the answer
Actions speak louder than words!


What does it take
To wake up a generation?
How can you make someone
Take off and fly?

If we don't wake up
And shake up the nation
We'll leave the dust
Of the world wondering why

Why do we stay with lovers
Who we know, down deep
Just aren't right?
Why would we rather
Put ourselves through hell
Than sleep alone at night?

Why do we follow leaders who never lead?
Why does it take catastrophe to start a revolution
If we're so free? Tell me why - someone tell me why
So many people bleed

Cages or wings
Which do you prefer? Ask the birds
Fear or love, baby
Don't say the answer
Actions speak louder than words!

13 comments:

  1. http://tvnz.co.nz/view/video_popup_windows_skin/2252760

    At the risk of hijacking your blog, thought you might like the link to the tv news item which shows your beloved and beleagued wee village in all its bucolic glory.

    All the very best for your exam tomorrow. And then, that's it! You've finished Uni!

    Love the photo of the chocolate dipping sauce and your linked photo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I laughed at the title of this post, I do love pineapple, but did you see that movie? It was ok... but stoner jokes get to me after awhile :)

    I agree America will be a little crazy tomorrow, and hopefully things will work out to whats the best for this country. I'm not saying much more, but I think we think the same on it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1) GOOD LUCK on your exams, my friend!

    2) That cup of "dipping" chocolate? I don't want to dip it, I want to DRINK that cup! Wow.

    3) I vote early, by mail. So, I already Barack-ed the vote days ago! Woo hoo!

    By the way, in my state (Arizona) there was an initiative on the ballot to absolutely define marriage as btwn 1 woman and 1 man, oh my. Me and hubby voted AGAINST that. We support same-sex marriage, period.

    ReplyDelete
  4. *quietly nurses chaffed retinae*

    Cool blog once again. Have you acually SEEN Pineapple Express? if not, do so, and promptly. Like after your exams when you are free of dem shackles of student-dom.

    The pineapple was fabtastic!! I got all hopeful that I might have been mentioned, but I was shunned like the smelly kid with lice in the playground, once again.

    No hard feelings I promise.

    Thanks for the awesome frienship this year (incl. Tim)!! May it continue next year!
    I will try to keep up with the blog but I'm not entirely sure about internet availability in rural Laos....

    Have a super summer sunshine!!

    xx

    Scotty

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just became a follower of your blog because of just how DELICIOUSNOMNOMNOM that chocolate sauce looked...and then I stayed to read your charming and very delectible blog :)
    Another uni student. Hurray for learning stuff at the cost of decent ingredients (and real Malibu)!

    ReplyDelete
  6. nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnom. *clicks follows*
    I was considering starting my own recipe-orientated blog but alot of the time i'm throwing things in pans and hoping for the best! This choc-malibu combo looks brilliant, and has now been added to my to-do list!
    Rosie

    ReplyDelete
  7. All the very best to you and Tim for the LAST exam (in this particular life cycle anyway). Will send good thoughts.
    Reading your blog, I guess it means the USA elections must be close - have no knowledge of this out in the wilds though I do recall a possible plot on the news re Obama last week. Outback and no news is not always a bad thing. Will wait till the cartoon comes out, LOL.
    Your recipie looked extremely yum and am tempted to race out and buy a bottle of malibu. I have one in the cupboard at home (NZ) and will pack it for camping heh, heh, at Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is the best thing I have seen today, I could just stick my entire face in the bowl and drink up every last drop of the chocolate.

    ReplyDelete
  9. LOL, was there seriously aluminium in the liquor you used? Hope your exams went well!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The pineapple looks liquidy and lusious! Try saying that quickly!
    Congratulations on finishing uni - exams and all. Well done, those 3 years seem to have flown. Enjoy some down time now, I know, you could cook something!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey Laura! Hope your exams went well, and that you are enjoying your new found FREEDOM! It is really a great feeling isn't it?!
    Thanks to your mum for putting up the link for the news spot, great to see you are getting some profile on your campaign! I have been avoiding watching tv, there is only so much electioneering one can take, and anyway being a staunch Helen supporter there is no changing my mind before polling day!!! I too share your hope that Barack nails it today, love the lyrics, cheesy but oh so on the button (yeah, I'm defo a leftie!!!)
    Look forward to hearing more from you as you venture into the world of work....when do you start?????

    ReplyDelete
  12. Forgot to add, have you seen Slacker Uprising, Michael Moore's latest offering? Worth a look and it's on You Tube
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDidHpyaFKk

    ReplyDelete
  13. Mum: Cool, will have to put a link on the Otaua blog. Hijack away :)

    Adam: Haven't actually seen it but it made for a nifty title. I've read lots of good reviews though :)

    Ann: THANKS! And...I may or may not have drunk the leftover dipping sauce. As for what you voted against, how can proposing something like that be called "initiative"? Boggles my mind, nice to know we are on the same page though :)

    Scotty: Aaaah you're on a plane to Thailand right now!

    Kateh: Yayyy new readers :) Glad you like it here!

    Typewriter: Hi and thanks :) love getting new readers...don't be scared of starting a blog, the way I cook sounds pretty similar to yours :D

    Lynn: Camping pina coladas! Woohoo!

    Marybeth: Thankyou, that's quite the compliment! The chocolate sauce was surprisingly drinkable.

    Marc: Well, probably not, although it actually does contain asbestos... ;)

    Viv: Thankyou! Might do a spot of baking today in fact...so nice not to have to study!

    Linda: I'm pretty sure you had a lot more work to do than I did :) but indeed, freedom is a great feeling. Until I start work next week that is! Can't wait to earn some money and do some serious work though. We've nearly exceeded our internet usage so I won't look at the video just yet but thanks for the link. He's always pretty interesting!

    ReplyDelete