29 February 2012

i am the definite feast delight

Apropos of nothing: If - although let's go with when - I get famous, I should like to do many things. I'd like to start a trend for not having to wear a bra if you don't want to. Not that I can necessarily "get away" without one, but sometimes on a humid day they just feel so punishing and unfair. And really, if someone pulls you aside and says "look, you're not wearing a bra and it's making me really uncomfortable", I'd wager it says more about them than you, right? Second order of business: try and wangle an OPI HungryandFrozen nailpolish range. Am thinking matte rainbow-coloured dots which look like hundreds and thousands sprinkles, a rich yellow butter colour, perhaps a sophisticated, buff-tinted "Cake Batter", and something else which still hasn't fully formed in my brain yet. Nigella-Cardigan-Pink? The colour of those heavy velvet curtains that sweep across a stage before and after a show? Something Claudia Kishi-inspired? The third thing I've been thinking about is just buying a huge warehouse somewhere with a huge speaker system, so anytime you want to dance around a room like this, you can hire it for an hour from me. Apart from the high likelihood that my dancing moves and I are occupying it already, that is.

Apropos of nothing, I really enjoy saying apropos of nothing! Indubitably!

Anyway here I am. Can't hurt to daydream about everything in such minute detail that it can never possibly happen the way I want it to and I end up disillusioned and sad when it doesn't, right? Right!



In the meantime I am rich in friends and famous in my brain, which is a good start. You know friends are good friends when you see them practically every day but it still feels like something exciting's going to happen every time you do. As a few of us were coincidentally all going to see the band Bon Iver on the same night I suggested that I cook us all dinner beforehand. Which was perhaps an even more exciting prospect than the concert itself at the time. I just love orchestrating situations where I get to cook for people I like. The finished menu was a logical middle point between maximising on what I had on hand already, what recipes I liked the look of, and what would actually be delicious to eat.

It somehow, despite being entirely created in the space of an hour and a half, all came together to form a spectacular vegan feast. Which I liked so much that I'm going to share with you. All three of these recipes are very loosely based on actual recipes - the first two from the Meat-free Mondays book and the third from Katrina Meynink's gorgeous Kitchen Coquette book. It's not that the original recipes didn't sound perfect as they were, it was all about minimising time taken and money spent. And yes, I did just happen to have pomegranate seeds lying round. In a container in the freezer no less. But if it's any consolation they were over a year old. So I can be smug, but not that smug.



Lentils are just alright with me, but this is lifted from its admittedly beige earnestness by the juicy pomegranate seeds and smoky, tender eggplant.

Barley, Lentil, and Eggplant with Pomegranate and Mint


1/2 cup brown lentils
1/2 cup barley
1 eggplant
1 onion
3 cloves garlic, crushed
1 tomato, chopped roughly
2 tablespoons chopped preserved lemon or hot lemon pickle (or just some lemon juice)
Seeds of a pomegranate and a handful of mint leaves

Optional - and I did - 1 can cannellini beans or chickpeas to beef (heh) it out. 


Soaking the barley and lentils at least a few hours before you get started will make the cooking process quicker. Boil them together in a pan with plenty of water till tender. Drain, set aside. Slice up the eggplant into chunks, fry in a little oil  - in batches is easier - till browned and softened. Tip them into the lentils and barley. Slice the onion up and in the same frying pan brown it with the garlic. Add the tomato, chilli sauce and lemon, and continue to cook for a little longer. Return the eggplant, lentil and barley to the pan, stir to warm through and season to taste. Serve scattered with pomegranate seeds and shredded mint leaves.

Feel free to just use barley OR lentils. But this is a great way to use up those stupid tail-end packets of things which inevitably sit round for guilty years in your pantry. Free your lentils, and your mind will follow. Actually the whole thing with these recipes is that since I've already messed around with them to suit my needs, feel free to do the same. They are very low stress. No watercress? Use rocket. No almonds? Use any other nut. No pomegranate? Sprinkle over feta or just use more mint or something!



Something about blackening the corn and partnering it with toasty-sweet almonds and peppery watercress in this salad is surprisingly spectacular.

Rice, Charred Corn, Avocado, Watercress and Almond Salad


1 cup rice - I used basmati but brown rice would be really good here.
1 cup frozen corn kernels (or you know, however YOU get hold of them)
1/2 cup rice bran oil plus extra for frying
1 teaspoon cinnamon
2 teaspoons chili sauce
1/2 cup whole almonds
1 tablespoon icing sugar
1 teaspoon ground cumin
A handful of watercress leaves, rinsed and chopped
1 avocado, diced


Cook the rice as you usually would, and allow to cool a little. Stir the 1/2 cup oil, the cinnamon and the chili sauce through it, plus plenty of salt. Taste to see if you think it needs any more of anything in particular. Set aside and heat up a frying pan. Mix together the almonds, sugar and cumin and then heat them in the pan till fragrant and toasted. Set aside. Rinse the pan - or don't - and heat up a tablespoon or two of oil. Throw in the corn kernels and let them fry till some are slightly darkened and scorched in places. They might start to 'pop' and jump around a little so watch out. Stir occasionally. Tip them into the rice along with the watercress, almonds, and avocado and mix thoroughly. 




These are just edamame beans and regular green beans cooked in boiling water and stirred through a dressing made of 1 tablespoon shiro miso paste, 1 tablespoon sesame oil, 1 teaspoon honey and a little chopped fresh ginger and garlic. Miso's intense, fermented flavour is strangely addictive and even more strangely versatile. Here it's nutted up with sesame and used to coat creamy edamame and crunchy green beans.



Cheers to Kate and Jason and Ange and Ricky for indulging me. And cheers to Bon Iver for putting on a seriously good show.


I was almost as happy with my dress as I was with anything else. If only there was an Instagram filter called "Cheekbone Finder" or something. But yes, the show, wow. From listening to Bon Iver's music, I was expecting one guy, one microphone, and maybe a mandolin and a few handkerchiefs. But there was a many-peopled band all outstanding in the field of excellence, a glittering light show, and the singer, Justin, seemed so happy to be here! Which is always an endearing trait in someone you've paid a lot of money to see. This might sound weird, but I think my favourite bit was an unsettlingly brilliant saxophone solo, which brought to mind the eeriness of the dinosaur sequence in Fantasia.

And...apropos of something, recently Tim and I were in line for another gig, in front of three guys. From their clothes and piercings and so on, they looked like interesting-enough, open-minded people. And then they started talking. And Tim and I wanted to vomit. I wanted to say something - especially since several of my friends have felt able to speak up to people to tell them what they think recently - but it was late, and there were three of them and two of us, all those kinds of reasons. Tim and I just had to stand there in line and listen. And while I wasn't up to doing anything that night, I'm able to pass on to you my convictions instead. Please. If you ever hear people saying things so casually like "they aren't saying yes but they weren't saying no" and "if they're that drunk they're asking for it" or worse - please understand how terrible this is. How it builds. Keeps a particular victim-blaming attitude accepted. I'm not saying this very well but I feel really strongly about it so I'm going to let some other people say it better than I can. If you like pithy analogies, this one might help open your eyes a little. This might make you think about the conflicting messages women are constantly given, and this is the flipside which is told all too little. And this is Derailment Bingo. Many thanks to the Wellington Young Feminists Collective site for resources. If I was more confident in the results I could've talked to those people, if I was Veronica Mars I could've somehow sassed the bouncer into not letting them in, but all I can do is pass on some excellent links to people who, I would guess, might know all this already. I know it's not usually the direction I go in on here, but this blog is where I write about what's important to me...
________________________________________________________
Title via: Sugarhill Gang, Rappers Delight. The song is 14 minutes long so I don't really feel the need to add anything further to the conversation.
________________________________________________________
Music lately:

Eileen Jewell, Shaking All Over. Her voice is deliciously mellow and relaxed and after hearing Wanda Jackson's version so many times, I like the calmer but still dirty arrangement of this classic.

Christine Ebersole's voice goes from crystal-clear to shrieky in a matter of seconds while she's acting her face off in Grey Gardens the musical. Will You is one of the more crystalline moments in the show, and while the song was only written a few years ago it sounds like a lost track from the forties. Beautiful.

This is probably a decent Bon Iver song to listen to if you've never heard them before. It was way souped up live!
________________________________________________________


Next time: It's nearly midnight and I feel like chocolate. And I don't see any reason why that want would be inconsistent when I'm next in the kitchen cooking something...

13 comments:

  1. That dress is beautiful and your angry paragraph is aces.

    Eggplant is not for me, but for less horrifically-picky readers, I know I saw pomegranate at the market on Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks and thanks.

      Eggplant's one of those thing lots of people don't like...could always fry up some courgettes instead :)

      Delete
  2. If anyone ever says anything about not wearing a bra to you...then they have issues. Most guys should love it and most girls shouldn't care less...the rest are too tied up in social mores to be normal people.

    I'm loving that eggplant salad! Totally my kinda meal.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Bon Iver so very much. I've been on the fence about what all his exploding popularity will mean for future records, but I think he'll stay true to himself. I hope so anyway.

    Like the way Robyn wipes her nose at the end of that video. I'd love those pants, and also to have people telling me "Yes, yes, just dance for 3+ minutes and we'll film it and choreograph a light show behind you and the people will LOVE IT!"

    I think the Claudia nail polish would be scratch-n-sniff candy bar-scented, or something. But it would look proper, to fool her parents;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are already famous don't you know? Your blog posts make me smile every time. Although I do wonder if you've been away on holiday since I've been tempted to dig out my bed sock and thermal underwear lately.

    ReplyDelete
  5. One of the saddest parts about finally getting a new housemate was not only no longer being able to get away without a bra, but no longer being able to walk around topless. LAME. Also, I don't wear nailpolish, but if I did I'd want yours.

    The salads = incredible. They should come before our raw vegan truffle party.

    I've also long dreamed of a warehouse, but not to dance in. To scream in. And after reading the end of your post about those men, I feel so sick that I need that warehouse to scream and scream and scream in in fury.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You had me at smoky tender eggplant.

    ps. I'd buy your OPI colors :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have a terribly expensive OPI habit, and a namesake range is totally the dream! Also, saw that Ruth Pretty did some barley and eggplant type thing recently also and had never thought of combining the two, but looks right up my alley, yummmm.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So much eggplant in the garden! That lentil recipe is going straight to my "make this week" list. And by that I mean next week. You're awesome that you make the whole meal for your friends. 'Potlucks" are overrated. And rarely very lucky.

    ReplyDelete
  9. These dishes look great! One of my partner's friends is a vegan and we keep meaning to have her around, but I never get round to asking my other vegan friends for any recommended recipes. Might have to skip the egg plant though. I like it, but my partner has a thing about 'water-bearing vegetables' which includes courgettes and watermelons.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Laura, That first dish looks amazing. Really enjoy seeing what you are cooking. And, I've just mentioned you on my blog today - http://kirstenmatthew.com/blog/2012/03/04/win-win/ - for the Liebster Blog Award.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh dear God I LOVE your blog. I can't stop reading it.

    ReplyDelete