5 April 2014

i should tell you: anika moa

Well hello there, and welcome to volume sixteen of I Should Tell You. Where I ask cool musicians some questions about food, just to see if they'll answer, really. That's literally how this segment started: I was like, I wonder if I just ask some people to do this...if they might say yes. And then I did lots and lots of fun interviews and then somehow it zoomed from July 2013 to April 2014, like some kind of stretch of time passing where both large eventful things happen but also I low-key procrastinate and am disorganised. Life!

But, I am so pleased to be bringing it back by talking to the talented, comely, and excellent Anika Moa.


I have loved Anika Moa's music ever since hearing her debut song Youthful in 2001 in the car on the way to a family reunion in Ngaruawahia, and thinking "ugh I relate to this so much" without even really quite knowing what I was listening to. She just keeps getting better and better and if you're completely unfamiliar with her back catalogue I recommend jumping round like you're playing elastics on your lunch break at primary school, with gorgeous songs like Mother and Running Through The Fire and Blame It On The Rain and also the song Be Mine that she does as part of AnikaBohHollie which I am so, so obsessed with.

PS: If you're in the South Island of New Zealand later this month Anika Moa and the rad Julia Deans are doing a lil tourette. Check it out for sure.

Thanks Anika Moa! The interview begins...now.

1. Where's somewhere you've eaten that you kinda like to brag about or drop into conversation?

I have recently moved back to christchurch so I'm making an effort to go out and make myself known in the restaurant scene. My indulgence is fine dining and a good big fat glass of red! My friends and I had a gorgeous meal out in lyttelton last week. A beautiful little place called Tommy Changs. A space of creativity, a bit of rough and tumble and an intimate setting. Very down on the farm but local beer drinking Russian sailors and what nots. You wouldn't expect their food to be so.. Well, so good! Pork ribs done in a sticky sauce, chicken laksa so tasty and well seasoned and the wine match is just as good. I enjoyed myself and so did my friends. We all went out and partied like we were 20 again so it must have given us a reason to live. Loved it. 5/5

2 What do you fix for yourself, or where do you go to eat, when it's just you on your own?

I'm a cheese toastie kind of girl! Or cheese on toast or cheese rolls or cheesy pizza. I love cheese (you can tell from my fat ass) If I'm feeling flash I make a gorgeous chicken salad with quinoa and anything I have in my fridge seasoned with salt pepper and soya sauce and lemon. LOVE it.  

3 What's one of your favourite food-related memories from your childhood?

My mum, sister and nana all used to make the best macaroni cheese I've ever tasted. They still do so it's good to be back home. I love the crunchy onions and the crisp bacon. Also fish n chip Friday was pretty neat too. 

1 comment:

  1. I want to find a place frequented by beer-drinking Russian sailors.

    ReplyDelete