21 October 2007

From Pig's Bum to Cowpats...

Haven't posted in a wee while on account of studying for an upcoming Shakespeare exam, my only one - hoorah!

Last night's dinner came via Nigella.com, which has a section where people can post their own recipes. It is indeed fertile ground for food creations, and I found two recipes that suited the ingredients I had to hand. The main was a Turkish dish, very easy, more of a suggestion than a recipe. Into a casserole dish go chicken pieces (I used thighs as that is what we always have) a chopped onion, chopped potatoes, a can of tomatoes, and a sprinkling of cinnamon. Bake till the chicken and potatoes are cooked, and well, that's it. To go with I made something called Pumpkin Tian, which involves cubing some pumpkin, dusting with a little seasoned flour, sprinkling with grated parmesan and baking.

The end result:

Above: Turkish Chicken with Potatoes and Tomatoes.

There was a photo of the chicken with the pumpkin on the side but the stove looked a bit toooo grimy for my liking - it has since been given a wipe so don't worry! The chicken tasted great, really warming and hearty, and cooking everything bathed in tomatoes meant that the chicken was super moist and the potatoes flavoursome. I can't honestly say that I tasted the cinnamon, so I added an extra shake before serving. If I was to make this again I might biff a whole cinnamon quill in while it cooks and fish it out at the end, for extra flavour.

Because it was a day of the week ending in Y, I had a hankering for some pudding. To go with the homestyle dinner, I thought that a chocolate self-saucing pud might be good. I think chocolate self saucing pudding is one of those dishes in the canon of "classic" New Zealand food, I'm not sure how or why this came about though. I remember Mum making it occasionally for pudding when I was younger, in my household it was called, rather poetically, "Chocolate Floating Pudding." The recipe I used came from Nigella's Feast, and is not only easy to make but requires the simplest of ingredients - a great one for when you think you have nothing in the cupboard. Nigella's recipe is a somewhat modern take on the original though, with cinnamon in the mixture and an optional slug of rum in with the water that goes on top. Not having rum, I used some Marsala all'uovo.


Above: Closeup on the Chocolate Floating Pudding. Nigella succinctly notes that the pudding "isn't the most beauteous creation, there is a touch of the cowpat about it." I feel that my photo is a direct visual realisation of her description.

No harm done, as it tasted fantastic. The marsala added resiny depth and fullness of flavour and it was as easy to eat (doused liberally with milk) as it was to make.

2 comments:

  1. Wished I'd read this before I went to do a few groceries as I'd have done your exact menu for tonight. As it is, we are having sausages - (Cuban sausages with lime, cumin and garlic no less) and probably a comfort-food baked or mashed potato. Because I've gotta cook it - I get to decide what's comforting! MMMMM chocolate floating pudding (cue Homer Simpson voice)- first encountered in Form 2 cooking class with Mrs Coutts, 1969, thence the family-size recipe in the Waiuku Anglican Church's 1973 Centenary cookbook. Altering its name to "Chocolate Floating Pudding" is possibly my single greatest culinary success. Cheers - off to look for the marsala .....

    ReplyDelete
  2. I must say Laura that having been out on the farm again, the choco pud does rather resemble a cow pat!!

    ReplyDelete