18 November 2015

i want blood, guts and chocolate cake

It's really something huh, how you can simultaneously absorb constantly unfurling news of how monumentally disastrous and rubbish the world is right now, and yet have your own relatively small, inconsequential issues selfishly jostle for position at the forefront of things you have to try and process...yeah? Author Roxane Gay said "I have never considered compassion a finite resource" and important singer Lana Del Rey once tweeted "um, I like it tha best when you're nice to me" and I think they're both good thoughts to keep in mind. No one needs my hot take on world events, especially not on a damn food blog, but man, stuff is happening so hard, right? And it's just going to keep happening and keep happening and keep happening and all we can do is try to be human beings and be compassionate. And nice. In our own small ways and to our own capacities. That's all I've got.



In what I'd like to emphasise is unrelated news, It feels like utterly forever since I've updated this blog. I also suspect I'm the only one exuding major stress over it, so I'll just get to talking about what it is I've finally got around to cooking and deeming blog-worthy. And that thing is: avocado brownies. I'm not usually prone to faffing around with replacing the butter content of anything (indeed, I usually replace the existing butter specified in a recipe with even more butter) but I'm also easily seduced by a novelty ingredient. Moreover, I wanted to make something nice to take to work for a very lovely manager's final shift, and this requires accommodating some gluten and dairy-related issues. A bit of excavation online brought this recipe for avocado-based chocolate brownies to the surface, and as I've had an abundance of said fruits lately anyway, all signs pointed to yes.


These whole process is reassuringly normal; the avocado is mixed in with the sugar and eggs at the start and it all looks and tastes very much like regular brownie batter (not as good, but on the other hand it does stop me eating my usual half to three quarters of the uncooked batter followed by some sustained writhing on the floor in sugar-related agony.) They get better and better the longer they're left in the fridge, becoming more dense and richly fudge-ish with almost swampy levels of dark chocolatey depth. Like, believe me, these brownies are real and stand their ground and are delicious at a level bordering on magical. Make 'em out of curiosity, whether or not the gluten/dairy-free thing applies to you, because they're just that good.

avocado chocolate brownies

recipe pretty well unchanged from this recipe on Sprouted Fig

two large, perfectly ripe avocados
one cup of brown sugar
two eggs
one cup of cocoa
150g dark chocolate
half a teaspoon baking soda
one tablespoon water

Set your oven to 170 C/350 F. Scoop the avocado flesh into a bowl, and use a whisk to whip it till it's all smooth. Add the eggs and the sugar and continue to whisk briskly, then carefully whisk in the cocoa - cocoa tends to fly everywhere in clouds at the slightest agitation, hence why you need to slow down for this bit. Chop the chocolate roughly but finely, so that it's all rubbly and in shards, and fold it into the batter. Finally, mix the baking soda and water together in a small measuring cup or similar, and vigorously stir it into the chocolate mixture. Spatula the lot into a paper-lined brownie pan, and bake for about 25 minutes - as soon as it's firm on top it's ready to be taken out. Refrigerate the brownie for at least an hour but really the longer the better - it just gets more dense and fudgy the longer it sits. Slice it into smallish squares and fling at your face. 



I liked these so much that I immediately made another batch for my flatmates, although I concede that this was partly if not mostly motivated by the fact that I never actually got any photos of the original brownies that I took to work. And this blog's needs are important!

Honestly not much else exciting has happened to me lately; I dyed my hair a darker shade of red, I hooned through the excellent TV series Master of None (and I recommend it so hard), I finally tidied my room up after being a stressfully messy slattern for, well, my entire life, and during so I inexplicably found my notecards from a speech I gave in primary school in 1997 about the Spice Girls.

"practically every girl's fantasy" 

That's...all I've got. Stay nice if you can.
__________________________________________________________
title from: that magical woman Marina and the Diamonds and her song Teen Idle. 
__________________________________________________________
music lately: 

Uffie, Hot Chick so bratty! So 2006! 

Robbie Williams, Freedom so good! So 1996! I don't even care!

Misterwives, Hurricane. Perfect pop perfection.
__________________________________________________________
next time: I promise I will neither take this damn long to update! I will make a thing more than once a week! 

No comments:

Post a Comment