26 November 2015

let's propose a toast to the thing that hurts the most

I'd already idly bitten into it when I thought I'd better photograph it because who knows when I'd next be making actual food. If you're wondering about the bite mark. 

In late June 2012, twitter user Horse_ebooks tweeted the following: "Everything happens so much". Well. Currently everything is indeed happening so much - so so much! - and as such one's thoughts turn to this tweet. By which I mean, there's a lot going on right now in my life that needs to be processed and taken stock of and other administrative-like task words. During this time I've been far too busy to cook for myself, which is not something I'm particularly happy about, but such is life. I mean, I'm eating, I'm just not cooking. Till I get my act together, what else can I do but blog about what I've actually made myself lately? So...here's some cinnamon and sugar on toast.

This is such a stupidly simple non-recipe that it seems almost embarrassing when written down, except I'm not embarrassed at all because it tastes so wondrous. Also I am she who ebulliently blogged about marmite and crisp sandwiches, so whatever.

cinnamon sugar toast

lots of the following: 
bread
white sugar
cinnamon
butter

Toast the bread. Mix a couple of tablespoons of sugar and a teaspoon or two of cinnamon together in a small bowl. Butter the toast wayyyy thoroughly. Sprinkle the cinnamon sugar over the top. Also thoroughly. Eat in bed. 

food in bed: excellent life choice

To me, cinnamon is the flavour that most evokes the feeling of a warm hug. I used to eat cinnamon sugar on toast all the time as a child (and I turned out okay?) but I was recently reminded of its existence and suddenly it was the only foodstuff upon this earth that I wanted to consume. My nostalgic taste-memories did not exaggerate at me - this is such a wonderful thing to eat. The softly crunchy bread full of calming carbohydrates, the lashings of salty butter, the doughnut vibes and comforting scent of the cinnamon sugar. It's simple, it's perfect, it costs roughly nothing.

Well. If you were outraged at me blogging about sugar on toast, wait till you finish this sentence and get onto the next paragraph.

Because I'm about to talk about McDonalds. But, you cannot even make try to me feel bad or selling out-y about mentioning them on this blog, because frankly I don't care, I find McDonalds food to be delightful and if you're above eating it for no other reason than you're above eating it then that's super boring. I mean, truth be told, I prefer Burger King (the words "ride or die" are usually used by me in relation to it.) However, I was sent some vouchers by a lovely PR company so I could try the new Create Your Taste range at McDonalds and if there's one thing I love, it's being sent things by PR companies. It's ludicrously good for the ego and it gets me stuff. Recently, not hungover but definitely physically cognisant of the previous nights' events; I found myself in the McDonalds by the basin in Newtown. How Create Your Taste works is very simple - there are screens available and you just pick from what feels like thousands of different options to create the hamburger of your dreams.

It's completely simple and it's weirdly fun scrolling through the options and being like "that one!" "that one" and feeling maniacally powerful. Once you've submitted the final burger you want and decided whether you want to turn it into a combo with fries and a drink (the answer to that: obviously you do) they then make it for you on the spot and there you have it, your own customised burger. Which is all very well and good, but like, why should I go to this trouble? I could just get a cheeseburger and some chicken nuggets at 3am and stuff the former with the latter and be on my merry way.

delicious, juicy capitalism 

Except these burgers are SO amazingly good. I got way too overexcited at the options and combined a brioche bun and angus burger with fried mushrooms, swiss cheese, aioli, guacamole, lettuce, and grilled onion. It still tasted incredible. All the ingredients taste aggressively good quality and the sweetness of the brioche was charming. I got it to take away and ate it in bed while emotionally rewatching the final episode of The OC, and all was well.

And so that's what I've made for myself recently. Sorry-not-sorry that it's just toast and McDonalds. Because from all of this, we can conclude that whatever it is you have going on in life, carbohydrates eaten in bed are really helpful and excellent and good. And you probably are, too.
_________________________________________________________________
title via: Faith No More's Last Cup of Sorrow, a song worth wrenching myself away from listening to Epic on repeat for. 
_________________________________________________________________
music lately: 

I'm really into choreography tutorial videos on youtube right now and there's this one incredible routine to Beyonce's incredible song 7/11 that is soooo great. So I've heard this song a ton lately, and yet: still sounds fresh. 

That Girl, by Maxi Priest and Shaggy - I made a spotify playlist of songs I was listening to around the year 1996 and maaaaan they hold up well. This one is smooth like a freshly shaven leg. 

Imogen Heap, Hide and Seek. It's just...such a song.   
_________________________________________________________________
next time: I promise I'll literally cook. Promise! 

2 comments:

  1. Is this my favourite post of yours ever? It might be. God I Love cinnamon toast and God I hate "I'm too cool for that" snobbishness. (I mean, I'm currently eating steamed vegies DROWNED in butter and salt and listening to Purpose on repeat so I'm obvs your target audience) You keep on being you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. so life has been such an overwhelming exhausting beast to me lately (60+hr weeks for weeks on end, apparently it's possible to start throwing up at least once a day purely from work stree exhaustion burnout, I feel nothing but jagged edges and am so raggedy, so raggedy) that I haven't cooked a thing in bezonkers AND my entire life now is about trying to limit Maccas hot fudge sundaes to once a week not once a day.

    laura i love you, you are perfect

    ReplyDelete