6 November 2007

Gentlemen Prefer Blondies

I bought some more pork. I wasn't going to, but I thought - My public needs me. However, I made a different recipe to the last, semi-disastrous time, mostly because Marsala is relatively pricey and the Roast Pork Cinghiale uses rather a lot of it. I turned instead to the much simpler Slow Cooked Pork from Nigella Bites, actually a recipe for 12 people (with 9 1/2 kilos of pork!!) so I had to scale it down...a lot. You are supposed to cook it in a low oven overnight, after smearing it with a chilli-garlic-ginger paste, but I just left our comparitively meagre 1.6kg in for about 5, while Tim and I went off to do our exam. Still tender as a woman's kiss. I presume.


Above: An actual photo of pork! Look, you guys didn't miss out on much last time because...I still haven't figured out how to make pork look good on camera. I believe studio lighting and some photoshop might help.
To go with, I made a dish I've been eyeing for some time, from The Accidental Vegetarian: Fennel, Asparagus and Roast Potato salad. I fiddled with it slightly, in that I didn't add the Italian dressing or rocket leaves, but it was amaaaazingly good. The roasted potato gave crunch, the asparagus gave its own brand of magical deliciousness, and the crisp shards of fennel gave cool, fresh contrast, not only to the slight oiliness of the other veges but also to the rich pork.

Above: The reason I am thankful for the vege market.

We ate this while watching The Hitch-Hiker's Guide to The Galaxy, which is a pretty amusing film, though I think I prefer the book. I particularly like how the doors on the spaceship open and close with a sigh - and how we caught a glimpse of New Zealand at the end when they are zooming all over the world. Then, as you know, we went and watched the spectacular fireworks, from the top of the Cable Car lookout, which is a 5-10 minute walk from our place. It was a very clear, still night - miraculously - so perfect for such an occasion.

When we got back I was going to make something for dessert but didn't have the energy. The idea of having to measure flour made me want to weep like a bairn, so I left it till this morning to make...White Chocolate Brownies (or Blondies, if you will.) These come from Nigella's How to Be A Domestic Goddess and are child's play to make.
Speaking of which, I found the following amusing:

Above: Zoom in - gorgeous white chocolate.

Above: Zoom Out - Why yes, that is a pack of loo roll and half a roast chicken on our dining table.

Anyway, melted white chocolate and butter goes into beaten eggs and sugar (I used half brown to give it extra fudginess) and flour gets folded in (or flung, in my case - I can never keep the stuff in one place.)

Above: photo by Tim, who is as adept at capturing slow-moving batter as he is with fireworks. Even though you can only see about 1/18 of my hands (okay, 1/3, they're pretty small) what is visible is very floury and smeary. Imagine That!


Above: The finished blondies. These are great, in that they are no effort to make and yet repay you with such gratifying squidginess. The only thing that I think would improve these is a handful of white chocolate chips or the like in the batter but...I just really like white chocolate (even though there is a vogue for claiming to love the intensely bitter 300% cocoa solids dark chocolate these days.)

2 comments:

  1. Thought I posted a comment today but Isee it didn't publish..... Well done, you must have an increasing readership judging by the number of views.... or else the other reader is clicking "refresh" an awful lot.....
    Always a good idea to crop out the toilet paper in cuisine-photography.
    ....juxtaposition is everything......

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, yes - juxtaposition. I think I managed to use that word in my essay in my exam, always worth dropping in if one wants to sound knowledgeable!
    600 views is pretty exciting, I haven't even been clicking refresh! (much,lol)
    X

    ReplyDelete