8 November 2007

"My conscience, thou art feta'd..."

On the one hand: overkill. On the other hand: It's what Shakespeare would have wanted...

But really, I am going to have to reign it in.

Last night's dinner used up the last of the pork. I thought there wasn't much left on the bone, but once I started digging I amassed a sizable pile. To go with I made Feta Bread from The Accidental Vegetarian, and the Red Peppers with Feta and Almonds from Nigella Bites. Except I didn't have almonds so I used walnuts. I like to get the most out of my luxury items (guess which two things they are this week?) which is why you may notice some repetition in ingredients this week...


Above: Doh! This is the dough after rising for an hour or so - I halved the recipe, and this is our biggest bowl - I can't imagine what would have happened if I'd kept to the original proportions. I don't know why this photo came out so dark, but I rather like how it looks rather sinister and dark side of the moon-esque...

The recipe was incredibly easy, the only difficult bit was kneading in the feta, mint and olive oil after it rose. I think if I were to make it again, I'd add the oil at the start, as putting it in at the end made the dough completely uncooperative, and nothing would cohere. I eventually managed to bully the dough into incorporating the feta but it looked a bit messy. Luckily it cooked up well and tasted amazing!


Above: The finished product. It tasted wonderful! I think it would be great as part of a 'bread and dips' selection.

As I mentioned up there, we had red peppers sprinkled with feta and walnuts to go with. For the two of us, I cut one large red pepper into six - they are still pretty expensive, hence the holding back, as I could eat cooked peppers till the cows come home! This is a very simple recipe - just shove the peppers under the grill for a bit, and that's about it. I added some sliced fennel for contrast and, well, extra presence of veges. The combination was, not surprisingly, fantastic.


Above: Pretty, too! I imagine this would be fab chopped up and stirred through pasta as well.

After that we all drank wine and beer (prompted by Emma, who had her last exam yesterday) and stayed up yarning till 3am asking all those questions that life throws at you - like, "why are students taxed so bloody much when we earn so little?" and "is it pronounced di-PLOD-oh-cus or dip-lo-DOH-cus?"

3 comments:

  1. Ha! Beaten by one person to be the 700th view (or are you frequently refreshing?). Tried several times to publish supportive comments but they are not turning up. Have you black-listed me because of my culinary inadequacy?

    ReplyDelete
  2. No absolutely not!! I wonder if it is something wrong with the website. Have no idea!! V exciting having 700 views so soon!
    XO

    ReplyDelete
  3. PS - Found some feta in the fridge left over from Lynn's visit last weekend.... and included it randomly in tonight's dinner in recognition of your title pun, (better to be feta'd than fetid)...Lynn had stuffed chilli - thingies with feta for nibbly bits - and I thought they were stuffed cherry tomatoes ......imagine my response.

    ReplyDelete